Applying for a Visa and residency permit in Hungary - our tips

Photo illustrating the news item

Are you an international student planning to start at Corvinus University of Budapest? Here’s all you need to know about applying residence permit & visa process!

The process can seem a little overwhelming – in this post we try to simplify and explain the key things you will need to do.

First things first.

You will need an unconditional letter of acceptance from Corvinus University of Budapest. This is the document that states you have met all the academic requirements for your programme of study.

You will also need to pay your tuition fees (typically the first semester only). Or, if you are a scholarship student (e.g. Stipendium Hungaricum or Diaspora scholarship), you will need a letter of award. If you have a letter of award you do not need to pay tuition fees – the letter provides proof that your fees are covered by the scholarship.

Make sure you have enough money to cover your living costs for one year. If you need a visa, your bank statements will be checked. We recommend you have a minimum of €9,000 (or equivalent) in your own bank account. See the section below on required documents for full details.

If you are a scholarship student, your bank statements won’t be checked, but keep in mind the living costs in Budapest. Your monthly scholarship living cost allowance

Got everything you need? Check if you need a visa to enter Hungary.

Do you need a visa?

There are three categories of students – check which you are.

Category 1 – EU & EEA citizens
Good news – you do not need a visa!
All you need to do is register with the immigration office after you arrive in Hungary and enrol. Then you can apply for a registration card.

Category 2 – Non-EU/EEA “visa waiver”
Check to see if your passport is “OP” (ordinary passport) on this list. If you are a citizen of one of these countries, you too can travel to and enter Hungary without a visa.

Once you arrive in Hungary you will need to apply for a residence permit within 30 days of your arrival. You will need a visa (“Type D”) for study purposes – this will allow you to remain in Hungary for the duration of your studies.

Examples of countries of citizens eligible include: Albania; Brazil, Japan.

Category 3 – Non-EU/EEA
If you fall into this category, you will need a visa to enter Budapest.

Apply for a 30-day residence permit first by completing the form available here. You will then typically require an interview at your country’s Hungarian Embassy or Consulate.

On arrival, you will then apply for a long-term residence permit/visa (“Type D”) for study purposes.

Examples of countries of citizens this applies to include: Azerbaijan, China, Kazakhstan.

What documents will you need to apply for a 30-day residence permit (category 3)?

1. The application form
2. Two passport-style photos
3. Your passport:
• Which is valid for at least three months longer than your stay.
• Which must have at least two blank pages.
4. Copies of any previous visas you have been issued.
5. Your unconditional acceptance letter from Corvinus University of Budapest.
6. Health insurance that covers a minimum of €30,000 in Hungary and the Schengen area. Not required for scholarship students.
7. Bank statements to cover living costs (minimum equivalent to €9,000 recommended). These should be in your name (highly recommended). Alternatively, you issue statements from a parent/guardian along with written proof (signed letter) that you have access to the funds and documents (e.g. birth certificates) proving your relationship (not recommended). Statements from other family members will not be accepted. Not required for scholarship students.
8. Letter of award of scholarship. Not required for self-funded students.
9.. Your flight ticket(s).
10. Your accommodation reservation – this may be a temporary address e.g. hotel or Airbnb reservation.
11. English language proficiency certificate.

Do I still have time to manage everything?

Yes – at the point of writing (July 2022!). Stay calm, but be proactive and follow the guidelines/requirements given in this post.

Bear in mind that the visa process might take 4-5 weeks, so category 3 students should apply for a visa and secure an interview as soon as possible.

Insurance tips
EU Citizens should acquire a European health insurance card in their home country.
Non-EU Citizens need to get health insurance for them to get a residency permit. Even though there are a lot of options, not all are recognized by the relevant authorities in Hungary. The “TUDIUM health insurance” by Generali is accepted at the point of writing (July 2022).

Good luck!

13 Jul 2022